Gift giving season is in full swing, and it just felt right to kick this year's gift guides off on Giving Tuesday. Have you heard of Giving Tuesday? Here is a little bit about the movement from their site -
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration.
Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
The following items are my personal favorites, and organizations that I have a personal connection to. So without further adieu, I present gifts that give. 'Tis the season so make sure to include some of these under your tree or year round just because. I've linked all the items below and the "why" behind their inclusion.
11 Gifts That Give
1. Warby Parker - this fantastic company is my go to for all things glasses, and sunglasses. For every pair you purchase, another pair is gifted. I am particularly loving their holiday collection of goodies featuring the work of Netherlands -based artist Sue Doeksen.
2. Reach Out Honduras - meet my friends the Waits family. The Waits family currently works with orphans and vulnerable children in the town of Puerto Lempira, Honduras. My sister travels here every year to photograph their journey and is an organization dear to my heart. Matt also served in Honduras during his time in the USAF and fell in love with the people there. These t-shirts make perfect stocking stuffers.
3. TOMS - the original "one for one". Unless you have been living under a rock, it's no surprise this amazing company made my list. My personal connection goes beyond the brand though. You see once upon a time, I met a guy named Blake who brought his duffle bag of shoes to a party that I designed. We talked, he shared his heart, and I was sold. He was there with his fabulous mom, who just happened to love flowers. She became a good friend, and a treasured client of my sister and I's flower shop. This family and company is the real deal y'all. Shop any style, give a gift card, it really doesn't matter what you pick, this gift is ALWAYS a hit. I've got my eye on this collab that comes out in January. You might remember my love for this artist on my insta a few weeks back.
4. The Giving Keys - Stylish, helping others, and paying it forward. All. The. Feels. Gift this gift set to someone who needs to be inspired or encouraged. So chic. I was gifted the key of "BELIEVE" during a particularly trying time in entrepreneurship, and it served as a daily reminder of believing God for more, & for believing in more than just "stuff".
5. Foundation 56 - Where do I begin here? Well, read this post to start. My love for this family, runs deep because they are my family. They turned their mess into a message and I couldn't be prouder. This year is particularly special due to the news my Aunt is still breast cancer free. Click here to donate.
6. Steve's Paleo - For the health conscious foodie. These tasty treats are delicious and nutritious. When Matt came into my life, I fell in love with the community of his gym as well as the mission behind this company. Before you send off a lame fruit basket, or put candy in someone's stocking consider these.
7. Val Marie Paper - I first discovered this company because a friend tagged me because of my love of calligraphy. I fell in love instantly with these journals and the heart behind them. I think Valerie and I could be close friends in real life :) Her words this morning on her instagram feed say all the reasons and more why you should click here now and buy these suckers up.
Today is Giving Tuesday. I honestly have no idea what that means to the rest of businesses but today, I thought I’d share the giving that we get to be a part of because of your support of our shop!! (And share my sweet girls because you have seen enough journal pics in the last week! 😜) .
Last January, Tyler and I prayerfully considered what giving generously looked like. I had already been donating $.50 per journal for various charities and tithing personally from both our salaries but that month, we decided to donate 10% of sales. Our businesses had grown pretty big (to us!!) so this would definitely change our year financially. But we trusted God (and I may have subconsciously assumed He’d give bigger to us for this decision). I have already mentioned, this year was not bigger and actually quite smaller than the previous year. Every dollar was a stretched, but God taught me so much about staying faithful and trusting Him regardless of the outcome.
Giving hasn’t always been something I have had a heart for. I would have NEVER admitted that, but I was more worried about MY comforts. In fact, @tylerwoerner's generosity often frustrated me because it pointed out my own selfishness. I didn’t initially see my business as a way to raise money for non-profits but that has been one of my favorite aspects of VMP now. I am so grateful for the hard times that God used to help me see HIS reality. That giving really is better than receiving.
To date this year, your support has helped us give away over $12,000 to charities benefiting kids in Haiti, flood recovery, missionaries to Syrian refugees in Greece, foster homes, human trafficking efforts and more.
Please don’t hear this as bragging. This is God’s business and God’s money. I just get to be an employee and take a salary. And really, I'm so grateful that part of my job is figuring out ways to use the money y'all give to pass on to others.
Moving forward, I’m excited to keep partnering with the non-profits that God puts on my heart or leads my way. If you know of any organizations that would be a good fit for our shop, check out the “giving” tab on our website!
8. Taylor's Gift Foundation - If you would have told me that my life would be touched by organ donation in 3 significant ways in less than 5 years, I wouldn't have believed you. I love this family so much. I've had a front row seat to their magnificent grace, and strength. You can read about their story here. You can read about my friend Shelby here, and my friend Karen here. So, I am honored to include this gorgeous piece. Who doesn't love Kendra Scott? I have the privilege of representing the foundation at an instore event, at the Kendra Scott store in Southlake this Thursday. Here is a link to the event. Can't wait to see you there!
9. Preemptive Love Coalition - Loving in the face of Isis. I have no more words. Any words I would place here would not do this cause justice. PLEASE READ HERE. Then buy these candles, soaps, and anything else you feel led to. Here is their Holiday Gift Guide.
10. Cru by Darbie Angell - Girl crush alert. So my love for this gal runs deep. We go way back. Like Summer of 1999 way back. I went to college with Darbie. This is her amazing business. Her work is in major retailers, she's been featured by Martha Stewart, and the list goes on. But the Darbie I know has a heart the size of Texas, is the first to call and cheer on others, and is a loving momma. Do you know someone who loves to entertain? Or perhaps someone who is engaged and is looking for new china? This is your girl. We were challenged at ACU to "change the world", Darbie's doing a pretty great job don't you think?
11. Citysquare - Dallas's own hometown heros. This. Place. In my opinion, this organization is the epitome of service here in my town. Click here to buy this shirt, and support all the things they are accomplishing through their mission:
fight the causes and effects of poverty through service, advocacy, and friendship. Together as a community of neighbors, we feed the hungry, heal the sick, house the homeless, and renew hope in the heart of our city.
So what do you think? What gifts do you give that give back?